This weekend marks the official start of summer, but you could have fooled me…. It’s been in the 90’s, humid, and just plain uncomfortable the last few weeks down here in Charleston. Getting dressed to walk Wellie has become a point of contention for me. I just want to stay cool, but then I look at myself in the mirror and it’s a scary scary affair. My uniform tends to be lululemon tops, running shorts, and old Havianas. All that is fine, but if i want to leave my street and venture into areas where people might actually see me i’d prefer to be wearing something a little more stylish. I’ve put together a few outfits that if seen I wouldn’t be pretending my sunglasses are an invisibility cloak, a la Harry Potter. note: yes, I do like to think that when i’m wearing sunglasses people can’t see me. If i’ve ever ignored you, I wholeheartedly apologize!
1. These Knockaround glasses are pure GOLD. They fit just like Ray-Bans, and at just $14 you can’t beat them. Plus, if you take them out on the boat and lose them.. no biggie! I’ve got a whole drawer full of them in different colors for different moods.
2. Since moving to the South I have discovered the power of croakies. Let me tell you- these things are the greatest, and have proved useful in more ways that I can even start to describe. These gingham ones are precious.
3. This loose fitting J Crew top would be ideal for a long walk in the heat, and how cute are the pom poms?!
4. Continuing on with the floaty theme, Calypso St. Barth’s linen shorts are just the ticket for avoiding dreaded swass.. (if you don’t know what that is, urban dictionary it)
5. I’ve had a long standing love affair with Sam Edelman’s Gigi sandals. i’ve burned through several pairs and keep going back for more, but i’m liking that these ones have a little more structure and padding in the sole. Perfect for keeping you secure when the pup lunges for that squirrel!
6. You know how you can go to a car website and build your own model or play around with Stubbs and Wooton’s bespoke shoe section, or Nike….? Well, now you can do that with Ray-Bans! This might be my new favorite procrastination tool. Custom designed sunglasses that you can even have monogrammed. SOLD.
7. I love a good nautical stripe. In fact, half my closet is filled with variations on blue and white stripes. This easy, breezy t-shirt dress is chic, comfortable, and most importantly will keep you cool while you’re bopping in and out of stores on a hot day.
8. I first discovered Miansai in this cool little surf shop down in Soho. This bracelet is kind of a neat grown up variation on those braided rope bracelets we all had as kids. The ones you never take off ’til your parents force you because it’s turned into a stinky, brown disaster zone. Was that just a New England thing??
9. Zara makes the cheap best sandals around. Hey, Zara… can you open up a Charleston store? Please and thank you.
10. At the beach a hat is a must as I find myself running after Wellie a lot. Sunglasses just fly off my head and croakies make them flap up and down and hit me in the face. GO RED SOX!
11. L’ Space makes the best bathing suits for if you’re doing activities that don’t involve sitting around sipping on cocktails. Seriously- great solid fabric and everything always stays in place. I buy all of mine at Las Olas on King Street in Charleston. (ps. they have crazy good sales at the end of the season!)
12. If you know me you know i’m obsessed with Roberta Roller Rabbit. Literally, my whole bedroom looks like the store threw up in it. Why not dress myself in it too!? This is the perfect sarong for covering up. I like to fold mine in half length-wise and wrap around twice and tie the ends in a knot at my side. It is also cute if you throw on a tank or loose button down shirt.
13. oh, we know I can’t go shopping without buying the little man something. Crewlala’s seersucker collar and matching leash would look so good on him in the summer months. Look, there’s even a little embroidered palmetto.